Things I Use
The sections below are a moderately updated listing of the various machines and software I frequently use.
I'm lucky enough to be able to financially support a few open source products and communities that are very important to me:
I'm limiting myself to a short software list for brevity - I utilize many more programs than the ones listed below.
Note that I currently run Fedora Linux (i3wm) on my laptop, Alpine Linux on my servers, and GrapheneOS on my phone.
(Listed in alphabetical order.)
- Alacritty (zsh)
- Home Assistant
- K-9 Mail, Neomutt, Thunderbird
- Matrix (Element & Gomuks)
As of June 2022, I am now using a Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 4 (15") with the following configuration:
- Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 5625U Processor (2.30 GHz, up to 4.30 GHz Max Boost, 6 Cores, 12 Threads, 16 MB Cache)
- Graphics: Integrated AMD Radeon™ Graphics
- Memory: 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz (8 GB Soldered + 8 GB DIMM)
- Storage: 512 GB PCIe SSD Gen 4
- Display: 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, 300 nits
For the 1-2 years prior to this, I was using a 2019 Intel-based Macbook Pro (16"). Prior to the Macbook, I used a ASUS X751L (17") laptop for 5-ish years.
My server rack contains the following hardware:
- UniFi Dream Machine Pro
- UniFi Switch 24 PoE
- Custom Tower PC Server
- Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
- Memory: 32 GB DDR4 DIMM
- Storage: 128 GB SSD, 8TB HDD, 10TB HDD
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (8GB RAM)
- Philips Hue Bridge
- Tripp-Lite 12 Socket Surge Protector
I'd love to replace my tower PC with a proper 2U server so that I can also add in a patch panel to organize my ethernet cords. However, I'm not sure what specs I want in the server and thus, I am hesitant to purchase anything that may not be ideal.